A repacking tool for Minecraft mods to optimize size and loading speed of mods.
MC-Repack was created with a simple thought in mind: How many Minecraft mods and resource packs come with unoptimized files? And I don't mean just pretty-printed JSON files. You will be surprised that in some cases a PNG file's metadata added by Photoshop is much larger than its content.
One other important thing is that MC-Repack determines if a file really needs to be compressed.Most PNG files and smaller JSON files will usually be stored uncompressed. This kind of operation saves bytes if a "compressed" form is larger than original. Also, uncompressed data can be loaded faster.
This is a great tool that can be helpful for:
- Mod developers and resource pack makers – they can provide mods with smaller file sizes, optimized PNGs and correctly formatted JSONs
- Players and server owners – optimized and repacked files can speed up Minecraft load time while using less memory.
MC-Repack shows all errors happened during repacking. Most of them are errors that can be simply ignored (like "trailing comma at line X column Y").
- Minifying JSON files
- Optimizing PNG files
- Optimizing TOML files
- Removing unwanted files – some project files (from Blender, Photoshop, etc.) are mistakenly packed in mods. This operation will detect and remove (ignore while repacking) these files.
- Stripping unneeded Unicode BOM (sometimes found in many files)
- Removing comment lines in many file types: cfg, obj, mtl, zs, vsh, fsh
- Recompressing files more efficiently
Original vs repacked
MC-Repack can save about 10% of file size for larger mods (see data below). It may be difficult to understand, but JAR files are already compressed. The difference of uncompressed files is usually much larger.
Tested file: minecolonies-1.19.2-1.0.1247-BETA.jar74,630.5 kB65,209.6 kBSaved: 9,421 kB
Ice and Fire
Tested file: iceandfire-2.1.12-1.18.2-beta2.jar21,017.8 kB15,959 kBSaved: 5,058.8 kB
Tested file: blue_skies-1.19.4-1.3.24.jar81,271.3 kB77,476.6 kBSaved: 3,794.7 kB
Tested file: BloodMagic-1.18.2-3.2.6-41.jar14,021.5 kB12,140.6 kBSaved: 1,880.9 kB
Tested file: supplementaries-1.19.2-2.3.7.jar14,233.6 kB12,815.9 kBSaved: 1,417.7 kB
Check all tested mods HERE!
After installation, the tool can be run by just double-clicking its file. It can also be used by typing the
mc-repack command in a terminal/shell.
When a file path is provided, then MC-Repack will repack the file contents into a file ending with
_repack.jar. If a path is a directory, then all files inside (non-recursive) will be repacked.
More options are provided by typing
mc-repack --help in a shell/terminal.